Sunday, November 30, 2014

Quick Sip 014. Left Hand Brewing Company Oktoberfest

This is the last of my Octoberfest beers -- I found a single bottle of this hiding in my "review me!" shelf in the beer refrigerator. I remember buying it at World Market for about $8 a six-pack. They had a few good looking beers for sale, but I must admit, it was the label that drew me to this one. It features a blue lion (or some kind of big cat) in front of the blue and white Munich flag, and it just caught my eye.

I generally like Marzen Lagers, so it wasn't much of a stretch to predict that I would like this one -- and I did. A lot. This is probably my second-favorite Octoberfest beer of the season (the first being Karbachtoberfest, which I reviewed a while back).

OKTOBERFEST MÄRZEN LAGERTOASTY MALT FLAVORS DOMINATE UP FRONT AND NOBLE HOPS LEAD TO A SPICY AND SUPERBLY CLEAN LAGER FINISH.This is no festivus for the restuvus – on the contrary – we start brewing in the Spring and it takes a full two months to reach lagered perfection. Biscuity, malty goodness dominates upfront while the noble pedigree hops lend a properly spicy, dry finish. Zicke zacke, zicke zacke, hoi, hoi, hoi. Time to roast your chicken and upend your stein before the air gets crisp, the leaves flame and fall and the skies fade to black. Auf geht's!-- From their Website: http://lefthandbrewing.com/beers/oktoberfest/

The aroma is mostly of malt with a hint of yeast and the aromatics of Muich hops. Fortunately, it's not too sweet nor grassy smelling. And the same can be said of the crisp, clean taste. Mostly malt, some hint of bready yeast, and just notes of hops. The carbonation is medium, but the head dissipated faster than I expected, as did the lace. The color is a gorgeous copper brown, and when it warms to a chilly room temperature, other flavors come alive, giving it more depth than you would expect.

I paired this with a pumpkin bread and it was delicious, with no alcohol taste to indicate that this packs an ABV of 6.6%.

My score: 8 out of 10.



No comments:

Post a Comment