Tuesday, December 21, 2010

012. Once in a (Winter's) Blue Moon...

I was at a Christmas party earlier tonight, and the hosts served up some delightful libations (along with an awesome array of finger foods): Thanks, Lynn and Root!

One of the beverages on hand was Blue Moon Winter Abbey Ale. Now, I've had the regular Blue Moon beer before, and found it to be very drinkable, particularly in the summer), but this is the first I've had of their end-of-year concoction. And I must say, I was very pleased with it.

This Winter's Ale has a very bright, crisp flavor with a hint of caramel, roasted malt and just the right amount of sweetness to make this just the right drink for this, the first night of Winter (yup, I'm writing this on the solstice). The label says it has a "touch of wheat," and I think they're right... it's just a touch. And a nice one, at that.

The color was a very attractive copper color with a tolerable head (I had to be a bit aggressive to get it to form, but when it did it was good). It dissipated at a reasonable speed and has a decent lace.

Blue Moon Winter Abbey Ale

Available November-January
  • An abbey ale crafted with roasted malts, hint of Belgian sugar, and a touch of wheat.
  • Rich caramel and toffee notes.
  • Pair with hearty stews and chocolate deserts.

Alcohol content: 5.6%


I was eating this with fairly salty food, and it went very well with meatballs, Thai-inspired chicken, and a variety of crackers and cheeses. It was good enough that I drank three of them at the party, and then on my way home I picked up another six-pack at Wal-Mart for $7.49 (it was a pleasant surprise to see that they had it in stock, as I was in the store doing some last minute Christmas shopping).

This was a very drinkable beer (it must bee, I've had five so far tonight -- spread out over the past six hours), and one of the better "drinking" beers I've had this winter's season. By that, I mean it's one I can sip and not get too much alcohol, nor does it really try too hard, like some of the more floral and spiced ales I've had of late.  This is a respectable Winter's Ale that deserves to be under a few Christmas trees this year.

For taste, I give it a 6: For drinkability, I give it an 8, which gives us an overall rating of 7 out of 10.

----------------------

By the way, I love Blue Moon's commercial. I think it's very artistic and I really like the effects they use in it. If you haven't had a chance to see it, check it out their Website.

No comments:

Post a Comment