Saturday, May 12, 2012

026. Roscoe's Hop House Amber Ale

There's a hint of mystery about this week's beer-scovery, but I'll get to that in a minute. This week I'm trying out a six-pack of beer that I found at my local Randall's grocery store for $6.99: Roscoe's Hop House Amber Ale. This beer is a pleasant discovery for me, as it could turn out to be one of my everyday drinking beers. It's got a good balance flavor that isn't too heavy for an evening libation and it doesn't leave a strong bitter taste that grows in your mouth as you drink more than one.

So, of course, this means the "Hops Whores" out there don't really care much for this one, but that's okay. To each their own, I say.

I'll update on the pour and lace qualities shortly.

The Mystery Unfolds!
I'm not sure what the mystery is, exactly, but there is one hinted to at their Website:
Harkening back to old world brewing styles, Roscoe’s Hop House uses the highest quality malts and hops to bring forth this smooth, bright-flavored Amber Ale. With a nod to the past, this nicely balanced, true ale is brewed using traditional brewing methods for a unique flavor profile.  The password to our best kept secret is found inside the bottle.
Inasmuch as I can't find the clue, I'll just settle for an enjoyable, pleasing beer that I can enjoy every day.



Thoughts from the bottom of the glass:
Color: Golden yellow
Aroma: Malty goodness
Hops: Mild and well balanced with the sweetness and the malt
Head: Medium
Lace: Medium
Carbonation: Medium
Temperature Sweet Spot: Need to double check thiss
ABV: 5.5%
My Rating: 8.5 out of 10



Other reviews worth a sip
This guy over at the Beer Almanac did the work so I didn't have to break open the bottle to see if there was a secret code in it: http://thebeeralmanac.com/2011/05/review-roscoes-hop-house-amber-ale/


UPDATE (05-26-2012):  Since I wrote this review, I have purchased two six-packs of it. This means I'm on my third six pack since I discovered it. Obviously, this is one of my new favorites for everyday drinking after a hard day's work (and lately, I've been catching up on chores around the house, so I actually have been working hard). Therefore, I'm adding this one to my Favorite's list.

1 comment:

  1. Hey just wanted you to have a heads up. I tried a sorghum beer last night, It was St.Pius or something like that. OMFG! that was the worse damn thing I have drank since I tried Zima! ARRGGHHH!

    ReplyDelete