Saturday, September 1, 2012

041. JB Dunkelweizen

I'm not a huge fan of wheat beers. Although I've had a few that I've enjoyed over the years, in general they fall short for me. They seem to lack depth -- as though the wheat takes over the sweetness of malt and plays up the yeast and other earthy/fruity flavors at the expense of anything else. I find this to be particularly true at warmer temperatures.

Although these are generalities, I find them all to be true with JosephsBrau's Dunkelweizen Amber Unfiltered Wheat Beer.

Color: To come

Aroma: A hint of banana and brown sugar hiding under the wheat and hops. The caramel is probably coming from roasted malt, but I'm not sure.

Taste Impressions
The wheat is definitely the star, but it shares the stage with aromatic hops and a chorus of sweet malt and fruit flavors ably putting a "best foot forward" in the rear. In short, I get the "Weizen" (the wheat), but not the "Dunkel" (dark German beer).

I had high hopes for this, but they just didn't deliver. There's nothing particularly wrong with this beer (in fact, if you're just trying to introduce some friends to a new style and want something non-threatening, then this might just be what you're looking for. But if you're looking for an impressive Dunkelweizen (dark German Wheat beer), they you should probably look elsewhere.

My score: 4 out of 10
ABV: 5.2%

No comments:

Post a Comment