Monday, May 26, 2014

Quick Sip 006. Smithwick's Premium Irish Ale



Even the rain cannot dance in my spirit this Memorial Day. I've got burgers on the grill and a cold beer in my hand. And yes, I am thinking about those who died to make this possible for me and everyone else. One of the men I am thinking of most today is my uncle Harry. He passed away this past week after a very long and painful illness.

He had served in the US Air Force and had been stationed in Greenland in the late 1960s. So, even though he didn't fall in battle, I'm still remembering him today. I have many wonderful memories and stories about my uncle Hoppy, as we called him. But to be honest, must of them are not really suitable for mixed company. Yup. He was that kind of guy -- funny as hell... especially when he was with "just us guys." So, I'm going to keep the stories to myself.

My first beer of the day is poured in his honor. Other beers shall honor others. This beer is a pleasant malty Irish brew from those fine folks at Guinness. It's Smithwick's Premium Irish Ale. This is a very malty beer with a sweet taste of a wonderful, clear color. It has a hint of caramel sweetness and a thick head. I find this to be a very refreshing beer with a wonderful mouthfeel and very little bitter aftertaste (perhaps stemming from the fact that it only has 4.5% ABV?).

I first had this back at St Patrick's Day end of this loan bottle has been hiding in my refrigerator ever since. I have yet to find a food that I really think pairs well with it, but on its own it is a real refreshing treat.

 My rating: 8 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment