Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Quick Sip 002. Shiner Ryes & Shine Rye Lager

Okay, this one is a bit of a cheat. I drank this waaaay back in March or May for the first time. It was sold only in the Shiner Variety Pack and I had it at my wife's cousin's house (thanks for the great time, Dawn & Josh). I then went out and then bought a Family Six-Pack for the express purpose of getting another bottle of this. Their Family Reunion pack is a sampler of six different beers. One of them is frequently part of their Brewer's Pride series that includes small batches of their experimental beers.

Okay, since I'm drinking and being honest, I will tell the bitter truth. I actually rearranged the six pack so I got TWO bottles of this. Yes, I'm evil. I know it. Alas, repentance isn't something I'm into right now. At least not while drinking.

Popping the top gets you a strong scent of hops and a strong grain that I can only guess is the rye. I'm guessing because I don't drink a lot of rye-based beverages. In fact, most of my experience with rye is limited to the deliciously dark bread I use to make a turkey sandwich.

I was pleased that the flavor was smoother than the hops and strong aroma would lead me to expect. It also had more malt than I expected. There is definitely a tang to this lager, but it is not bitch-slap in the face strong. It's got a presence, but not too bad.

From the Label: This Small Batch Brew is the second in our Limited Edition Brewer's Pride Craft Brew Series. It's a medium-bodied, dark brown lager brewed with rye malt and chocolate rye from Germany, caramel malt and three hop varieties. The result is a rich, roasted dry finish with a touch of sweetness and hops, which honors our old-world brewing traditions. Prosit!
This beer has a lot to offer to those seeking something new and different. I can't see it becoming a favorite, but with its creamy texture, strong (but not overpowering) addition of rye, I could definitely see myself sitting back with some of these at my next family reunion.

My Score: 6.5 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment