Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Beer Talk: Wychwood's Web Site...


I seldom mention marketing in my reviews because, to be honest, it doesn't influence my purchasing decisions very much. I usually go to stores and pick up new things that look interesting to me (or hat have been recommended by someone I know). I also don't look at brewery Web sites until after I've tasted the beer and have made my initial (and sometimes complete) impressions.

But I really think that Wychwood Brewery has a really cool Web site.

As you may recall from a few weeks ago, Wychwood makes one of my favorite beers: 044. Wychwood Hobgoblin Dark English Ale.

One thing I love about the Website is that it's got a lot of humor that is very appropriate for their branding. For example, there is a splash screen that required you to enter your birth date before letting you log in. I entered my birthday and it responded with this reply before redirecting me to the cool Website (actually, it asks if you want to go to the full Flash site or to a light site -- both of them are pretty cool, but the full site is much more fun):

Hmmmm. Tough old meat, but the wolves aren't choosy!

I like that bit of humor, which is carried through elsewhere in the site.

I also like the solid design that actually conveys information in a fun and attractive way. For example, there are animated books in the site so you can flip between the pages to read about beer stats, legends, history, and so on.

This screenshot from the Website demonstrates the fun ways in which they share info about their beers.

I also like the fun animation they have running across the top of the site. It features their Hobgoblin sharpening his axe as various other creatures pop in and out around him.


This is just a bit of fun, but coupled with a looped soundtrack (a very unobtrusive sound of wind blowing), it has a nice element of fun that makes this site a pleasure to visit. If you have a few minutes to kill, I strongly suggest visiting them:


No comments:

Post a Comment