Saturday, January 8, 2011

015. Comfort that is Southern

"Clarity is overrated."

I was at Spec's Liquor Store in NW Houston tonight,  and   came across another local hometown brew that has a chance of working its  way into my heart. The brewery is Southern Star (from Conroe, Texas, which is just north of Houston) and the beer is Pine Belt Pale Ale.

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure about the difference between an India Pale Ale and an American Pale Ale (which is what they call this on the back of   its tall can), but I like it.  It's not as hoppy and tends to be smoother. Or at least it is in this case.

First things first? The quote on the can is  dead-on  accurate? This is one cloudy beer. Even after giving it plenty of time to settle, it stays cloudy. Not that's necessarily a bad thing.

The ale has a cloudy browinsh/gold color.

The aroma is faintly sweet with a  hint of fruit (probably citrus). Very pleasant.

Although I taste the hops, they are not overpowering.
I definately taste the malt (and really enjoy it).
The head and lace are both highly impressive.
Temperature  Notes --  I really enjoyed this ice cold, but when I let it warm (to chilled) the citrus notes became more pronounced.

I give this an 8 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment