Wednesday, December 29, 2010

013. Everybody Wang CHANG Tonight

I was very surprised by this beer. I was expecting more citrus or spices, but this is a surprisingly bright, cheerful beer. It has pleasant, simple notes that would go well with spicy food. That's appropriate since this particular beer hails from Thailand.

I think this is my first Thai beer, but I could be wrong. I may have had one a few years ago and there is -- I admit -- a slim chance that I may have had this one before. But if so, it was so long ago that I don't remember it at all, so I'm counting it as a "new beer" for the purposes of this blog.


Chang Beer
From Thailand

Revive exotic passions and rediscover Thai True Balance in your life with Chang Thai Beer. Our genuinely imported, premium Thai beer is synonymous with Thai culture and pride. Chang beer has a sparkling gold appearance and a smooth, crisp taste and is made from the finest quality malt, hops and deep well-water.

After the success of Chang beer in Thailand the brand was launched worldwide Now Chang is widely available and exported to countries around the world including UK, USA, Europe, Asia and Australia.

It has become established as a symbol of Thai culture amongst discerning beer drinkers.


Alcohol content: 5%

Let's hit the usual points:

Color: Incredibly bright, light and yellow/gold
Aroma: light, minute hint of hops
Head: Almost none
Lace: Almost none
Carbonation: Light

I like this beer, quite a bit. In fact, it almost tastes like an American beer in its lack of spices and unusual flavors. I like it, and would definitely drink this again, particularly with my next spicy, Thai meal.


PS: One thing I noticed with this beer was just how heavy the danged bottle was. I mean, so much so, that I actually noticed it.  So, I tossed it on my postal scale and compared it to a bottle of Shiner Bock (imagine... I happened to have an empty SB bottle around). The Chang bottle (complete with the elephants on its shiny green label), weighs 11.4 ounces and the Shiner Bock bottle weighs 7.4 ounces. I have no idea why I'm mentioning this, but it just came to mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment