Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Quick Sip 001. Two-Hearted IPA

I am not going to write for reviews tonight (and probably again tomorrow). I am drinking a few beers and watching some TV, so I am just going to write some very fast impression.

Two Hearted Ale IPA by Bells Beer 
www.bellsbeer.com 
 Fair disclosure here: I think this has been in the refrigerator for a while now. Honestly, it might be a year old. I think my brother Pat sent this to me, because I don't usually buy IPAs. My first impression was that it had an odd older. Not an aroma, but an odor. It is probably just subliminal suggestion from the label, but I thought it smelled fishy. Maybe if salt I'm smelling. There are definitely strong hops in this one. And the usual bitterness that I am not a fan of. I think I'm smiling spices and pepper which are not ubpleasant.

From their Website: Bell's Two Hearted Ale is defined by its intense hop aroma and malt balance. Hopped exclusively with the Centennial hop varietal from the Pacific Northwest, massive additions in the kettle and again in the fermenter lend their characteristic grapefruit and pine resin aromas. A significant malt body balances this hop presence; together with the signature fruity aromas of Bell's house yeast, this leads to a remarkably drinkable American-style India Pale Ale.


There might even be a hint of citrus buried under the terms of hops. I suspect that fans of IPAs will think that this does not go far enough. But I think it goes too far. My first sips leave me very unimpressed.
My score: 4 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment