Monday, July 6, 2015

Quick Sip 017. Shiner Old Time Alt (limited edition)

I don't know how long this one has been in my upstairs beer fridge. Probably a year, but it could be a little more than that. So, you need to take this review with a bit of caution -- I might be talking about old beer here.
That being said, I'm very sorry I let this one sit so long. It's really very good and has a lot of depth. If this were not part of their Brewer's Pride collection (and thus a limited edition), I would head out this weekend too but some more to do a proper review. As it is, I'll just share my Quick Sip thoughts with you.

This has a beautiful color: copper with a sweet red hue. The aroma is a combination of spicy malt and heady yeast (the latter I ascribe to age, not brewer's intent). Both of these carry through into the flavor palette, and provide a refreshing and very broad base flavor. I find this to be a really good winter beer. The sweet malt is dominant over the hops, and the strong spices definitely take precedence over the faintly aromatic hops. All in all, the flavor is a rich pageant of fun flavors that are -- for the most part -- working together in harmony. 

It has a slightly dry mouth feel (especially for a beer with a 4.2% ABV) that I am uncertain as to whether it comes from the age or from the beer. It probably has something to do with the strong yeast flavor.

I think I got this as part of a family reunion pack, which is their name for a sampler. I'm going to keep my eyes open to see if I can find another sample of this beer. I like it enough that I want to know more about it.

My score: 7 out of 10.

A Quick Comment: This beer got quite a few interesting descriptions from the guys over at Beer Advocate.

No comments:

Post a Comment