Tuesday, October 12, 2010

006. Pike's IPA

As I've said before, I don't love Imperial Pale Ales. There are a few exceptions, of course, but as a rule, these are just "okay." Pike India Pale Ale did nothing to change my long-standing opinion.

It was okay. It was comfortably smooth, has that chalky taste that I often find in IPAs, and a decent alcohol content. The color was a clear golden (a hint of cloudiness, but not too much). The lace was okay, but there was no head to speak of. I was very disappointed in that regard.

Pike IPA:
Flavor Profile Powerful malt backbone is balanced with aromatic herbal hop character.

History: Highly hopped to retain freshness on the voyages from England to India.

According to this guy, this has a 6.3% Alcohol By Volume
And the official Pike Website has the same info: http://pikebrewing.com/


There's nothing wrong with this ale, and I would certainly drink it if offered a pint at a pub. But I wouldn't order it again. I drank it cold, but as it warmed, it did release more barley flavor (which is not always the best thing, for me).
On a scale of 1-10, I give it a 4.5


Keep in mind, this is my rating. If you love IPAs (and I don't), you'll probably rate this higher.

No comments:

Post a Comment